Friday, June 26, 2009

Weigh In

Yesterday Summer and I went to our new Mom's support group class and I was able to weigh her and she tipped the scales at a whopping 8 lb 3 oz!!! Last week I said she weighed 7 lb 2 oz BUT I was wrong...it was 7 lb 15 oz. The nurse said she should be gaining 4-8 oz per week so she is on the bottom end of the chart which makes sense as she was small to begin with.

I asked the moms and nurses about holding her too much and creating a baby that must be held to be content and I got a mixed response. I think the result that we are going to go with, at the moment, is to meet her need but not exceed it. If she cries in her crib we will go check on her; talk and touch her and if necessary pick her up but once she is content we will put her back down. I can just tell this is going to be pointless as just when we think we have it down she will be over this phase...she is two steps ahead of us.

If Summer had it her way she would be held like this ALL the time.












This is what Summer looks like at 8 lb 3 oz. Today she made great progress. Summer was content looking around in her bounce seat for 25 minutes, wahoo!












I want to announce the newest member to the Savage family...Sadie (middle name tbd) Savage!
Jay and Jen got Sadie on Memorial Day and she has had an adventurous life so far. She has swam for the first time in the lake and she goes on boat rides...I am jealous. The funniest thing is that in the first few weeks of her life she slept in a casserole dish as it was secure and cool but as you can see she is quickly outgrowing her casserole dish. Too funny!












I also want to congratulate my sweet cousin Tiffany on the news that Baby Reece Dubose is a BOY! He will have the best two big sisters, Ella Katherine and Emma, who will be able to help take care of him. We are very excited for you and can't wait to meet the newest Bama fan!

7 comments:

MIMI said...

Mommy looks as happy to be holding Summer as Summer is to be held! I"M JEALOUS! I also see Summer's "baby hair" leaving, but her "big girl" hair arriving. These pictures just make me "drool" to love on her. Yes, Sadie is so cute and she will also be another BAMA fan (+ Reece)for our family. Sadie will probably have to "dress up" on game day like her cousins Sampson and Lucy do.
Thanks for your updates. I live for them! MIMI

Jen & Jay said...

Summer is getting so big & is just so beautiful. She looks like she already has a great tan like her mommy!
Sadie's middle name (sorry we haven't told you) is May. Sadie May Savage...since we got married in May, we got her in May & it just seems to go together. She is actually still sleeping in it with half her body hanging out. I'll try to get an updated picture of her in it so we can compare like we do Summer in her car seat :)
Congrats to the Dubose family! We are so excited for ya'll!
Love, Aunt Jen & Uncle Bud

Jana said...

Oh yeah, Sadie May is a Bama fan too! Lucy wants to give Sadie her Bama Jersey for football season as she has outgrown it. Tell Sadie not to grow too big so she can fit in it!

mook said...

There was a certain time of the evening(5pm-7pm??) with both of mine, that I would lay on the couch and they would lay on my chest. I could do nothing but lay with them. That ended around 3 months I think. I don't remember if it happened EVERY night, but it did happen a lot. We would call it the fussy time and they had to be held.
Sadie May Savage is cute...congrats Jay and Jen!
Don't forget that Reece DuBose has some cousins, especially one really cool boy cousin that he can look up to. J.T. rocks! and he is happy to have a boy coming to help out with all of the women!

Gramma said...

Well, Summer is slowly approaching Chad's birthweight-8'11". I have had this feeling all along that her hair would fall out -at least some of it, if not all of it. We will have to see, huh? She is just so adorable. Doug keeps saying she's so squeezable-ha ha! Sadie sure is a cutie-that dish is a riot.

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness Jana. At first, I thought you and Chad got a new puppy! HA! Read on Rachel. I love the new pics of Summer. What a big girl! I wish Oso would fit in a casserole dish. I don't think he ever could. Even as a pup pup.

The Reeds said...

Summer is adorable and growing so fast:) I remember 5 weeks was when it started getting a little easier for us. And then 10-12 weeks was when it got much better. You are doing great!!