Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ready, Set, Go!

Spring Break 2010 (I feel like there should be a Wahoo! after that)
Per previous posts, Mom is visiting on her spring break.
When my mom and I get together it is like Mount Creative erupts! Project after project we accomplish.
First - transforming Grandmama's mirror into Summer's mirror
This mirror started off gold but we forgot to take a "before" photo. We spray painted it white then accentuated the leaves in green and highlighted the swirls with pink and yellow as a crowning touch. We think it is too cute!
Also in this photo is the fabric flower I made last week. We just pinned it to the shade. Then we used the same fabric to line the glass doors. Now I have a finished look and her clothes are hidden.
Next Project - painting a growth chart
I already had this piece of wood from when I made my upholstered headboard a year or so ago (yes I actually moved a piece of plywood across country).
Step 1:
This was a joint effort. I painted the flower, mom painted the stem and butterfly, and we both decorated the petals.Project revealed to Summer-doesn't she look impressed (ha). She's thinking...in my old room I had 4 flowers. Ok, so in the middle of all of these projects we also played with and took care of Summer. Except in this one situation where I was changing her diaper and I put her pants back on. She was fussing but then laughing and I even said out loud, "Are you fussing or laughing?" Once her pants where up I picked her up and looked in the mirror and busted out laughing. I almost fell to the ground I thought this was so funny. I am willing to sacrifice showing you my ugly photo just so you can share in the humor.
I guess I would fuss a little too if my mom wedged both of my limbs into one pant leg. She's a mermaid baby! Oh this cracks me up-maybe you had to be there.
That wasn't the end to our projects. We also rearranged a few areas of the house.
A sitting area in the kitchen.
Kitchen table in the Sunroom (perfect for our painting projects)
My butterfly is now hung. It looks like a barrette in that little window's hair.
And we positioned the twin bed upstairs to function more like a lounge couch.
And the best part, these projects didn't cost me a dime (minus 1 yard of fabric) as I had everything already.
HOWEVER-I haven't been exercising this week and I have eaten a few things I shouldn't. I love that mama of mine but she is of the mindset that we should "seize the moment" and eat dessert. Since she is leaving today, although I will miss her, I will get back on track.
Bye Bye Mimi and Grando. Thanks for visiting!
PS - Mimi got a little eye infection and had to wear her glasses this week. I think they look cute but she wanted this disclaimer included.
Sandie is now on the healthy bandwagon, Welcome Sandie!
Bud and Jen- how are yall doing?

11 comments:

MIMI said...

MiMi is now CRYING as she travels away from her LOVES!!!!

aunt jen said...

Oh Mimi & Jana I love everything ya'll did! Ya'll are so creative! I laughed out loud when I saw the pic of Summer's pants leg! Summer was probably trying to cry, but just thought this mommy of mine is just too funny for me to cry! Oh goodness, that is priceless! I think Mimi looks super cute in her glasses! I have exercised everyday this week (and last week as well) and also have been going to yoga Tues & Thurs (on top of my 45 min of cardio). I also have been eating very well. I can eat Weight Watcher meals since Jay is in Nebraska.I have only lost 2 1/2 lbs...slow, but hopefully I'll get there!

Grammy said...

Cute stuff! I am so the opposite of creative. I wish I had your talent. I have been eating alot better and alot less. but that exercise thing hasn't happened yet. We are so busy trying to schedule all the things we want done to our house because we are having supper club here in a few weeks. Jennifer, you are doing great.But I think you and Jana look great anyway. by the way, Summer having both legs in one pants leg is how I feel everytime I put on my jeans. TIGHT! love to all

Jada said...

I am amazed at your craftiness and artistic abilities! Love the growth chart and the mirror. I think Mimi looks good in glasses too, so "cool"...unlike some people I know (me). I had an infection too and just got back into my contacts, I could hardly wait. I know you had a great visit with Mimi and Grando, so wonderful that you are close enough ya'll can visit more often.

I've been trying to be more healthy too, went back to WW, struggling right now but not giving up by any means!

Gramma said...

Well, I guess I better chime in too if I can include myself! I did make the effort to check out the Wii Fitness and had no idea it would be so expensive-$500 total at WalMart for the whole thing. whew!!! So, Jana , you will have to help me find it for less on the internet!I have done really good changing my eating habits over the last year since my Diabetes diagnosis. But, cheating happens a lot lately, and am ready to go w/out the sweets. By the way, Trish, you don't need any disclaimer-I wish that I could look 1/2 as cute as you do with your glasses on. I'm gonna try the tear plugs and see if I can go back to contacts. And, I know this is getting wordy, but ya'll did a FANTASTIC job with everything in the house. It looks great-as Jana knows, I have no creativity whatsoever so, Grammy, I'm with you! Thank you all for loving Chad-the Martin's have surely been blessed with some wonderful family additions including ALL of you! Blessings...

MIMI said...

Well, Mimi is no longer crying--instead I am PRAISING God for such sweet blessings as each one of you that commented today. I love "our family" and it is SO much FUN for us to experience life together.
Jen, you are such a GREAT example for us--I am so proud of you and your will-power (and EVERYTHING else about you). Jada, I was thinking about you on my drive back and miss seeing you. Let's get together. Sandie, you are creative and have the funniest sense of humor. I feel like I am lacking in that area. Susan, thank you for ALL that you do for Jana and Summer. You are such a giving heart and hands to them. Hope to see you ALL soon. Jana Marie and Summer, you are SO FUN to be with!!! Thanks for a WONDERFUL spring break. Do I have to go back to school?

Maggie Pelton said...

Oh my goodness, no you don't have to be there, the 2 legs in one pant is certainly something all of us have done, but none of us have taken/seen a picture of it!! Hilarious!!! I am in love with the growth chart!!! The butterfly marker is so cute! I love that you and your mom craft together. BTW: I love Grammy's comment about her tight jeans! ha!

Anonymous said...

Any time you crafty people want to come stay with me in Florida, I will take it!!! You did great! You all look so good! It sounds like Jen is going to out do us all! Way to go Jen! Tried to call Jay and check on ya'll a few weeks ago, but I know ya'll are busy. Love to you all and miss you tons! Keep up the good work!
Love,
Mook

lisa said...

I think your mom looks gorgeous in glasses. I am so happy Summer is starting to recognize ma ma and da da...just wait until she says 'i love you'.

Leslie said...

Jan, I LOVE everything y'all did! Perfect fit for the twin bed upstairs, is it in that little nook at the top left of the stairs? You and Mimi are so creative!
AND Summer in one pant leg! Hilarious! Love to all of you!
Les

Unknown said...

This blog is the best way to spend time while I am pumping! Y'all are fabulous and hilarious! I really need my blog now Jan! Summer is the cutest!