Monday, August 18, 2008

My Recipe of the Moment

I didn't mention this earlier because I thought it was unimportant.
But come on...look what other things I blog about...Surely a delicious recipe would make the list.
After cooking this recipe for the 4th time in one month I have decided to share it with you.

It is from Real Simple magazine August edition. I would describe it as easy, healthy and delicious. What more could you ask for?


Pot Sticker Salad with Snap Peas (serves 4)
1 1lb bag frozen pot stickers (I serve 6 per plate)
1/4 pd sugar snap peas trimmed (about 4 cups)
2 medium carrots sliced
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil (I have never used this and it doesn't mess up the recipe)
1/4 pd bean sprouts
1/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
2 scallions sliced

Using your steamer basket, steam the frozen pot stickers for 4 minutes (this is too long for me to type should you not have a steamer pot/basket).

Then add snap peas and carrots, cover and steam for another 4-6 minutes, until tender. (I like to dash a bit of the soy sauce over while they are steaming)

If you have the sesame oil (which I don't), combine it with the soy sauce and put to the side. Divide the bean sprouts on your plates and top with the pot stickers and vegetables. Sprinkle with peanuts and scallions and drizzle sauce over top.

I thought that the pot stickers were going to be fattening but for a portion of 6 they only have 9 fat grams. I think for dinner that is a healthy amount. Plus, you are getting your vegetables.

I am a bit of a ranker...meaning I like to grade things and put them on a mental scale of likes or dislikes. Not as bad as my brother who ranks his friends and tells them their standings! Bud, that is funny! Back to my ranking...here are the notes I wrote for this recipe-"GREAT! again please :) "

Let me know if you try this recipe and what your opinion is.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sis,

We will try the recipe since you gave it such a high ranking. I do love pot stickers and would love to try it out. Jen has been cooking us up some surprises the last week that have been delicious. I love surprises and love a home cooked meal. I will rank this meal once we try it.

I only rank my friends because they try so hard to be #1. There's only 2 of them so I swap them back and forth between 1 and 2 to make them feel good. It works.

Love,
The Savages

Anonymous said...

Jana,
The salad recipe sounds great! I saw that in Real Simple & wanted to try it. So, it's good to hear ya'll like it.

You gloves are sooo cute! Can I put my order in? You are so creative...makes me want to sew up something! Can you sew curtains yet?

jen

Anonymous said...

Sister Love,
I've never eaten pot stickers, but will try them just so I can be "with it". I'll let the BLOG know how it goes.
About ranking-- I only rank my children because they try so hard to be #1. There's only 2 of them so I swap them back and forth between 1 and 2 to make them feel good. It works,too!!!
#1 MOM

Anonymous said...

Jan,
Forgot to say-aren't we sooo happy that brother found someone to cook for him and SURPRISE him! I love that Jen!!! She is making his home so happy--and so cute and organized-just turned his house into the sweetest HOME! I love it!!And I also thank God that you have Chad who loves your SURPRISES and home cooked meals. No MOM could be happier than me!
#1 Happy MOM

Anonymous said...

Sis,

All I have to say is it sure feels good to be #1. I am actually always #1, my mom tells me so.

And yes I am so lucky to have Jen in my life. I am blessed to have someone that loves to cook and loves me. There was talk on the town prior to me being married that I wasn't getting enough to eat and that I was looking a little thin. But, just wanted to let everyone know, I am looking healthy again. I was told the other day that I was a growing boy. I don't want to be a growing boy, I would like to be a losing or staying steady boy. At 32, I don't need to be a growing boy. Jen always cooks healthy for us so I should be on the way down.

Love,
The Savages

Jana said...

And you wonder where I get my sense of humor from...
Mom - good one, using Bud's line and shaking it up a bit.
Bud - You almost made my coffee come out my nose. I will start calling you steady boy and hope that the positive thinking will transfer to reality.

Unknown said...

Those comments are hilarious! jana, who would you rank as your #1 friend????????????