Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Prep Prep Prep

Getting ready for the big FIRST BIRTHDAY party!

I have been doing a craft project in the garage and now I totally get why the Gosselin's hung out in their garage all the time! That solid surface is perfect for all of our wheeled toys! It is amazing how much Summer liked her walker once she actually had a large surface to walk on (doesn't move so well on carpet). So while I was painting away, Summer was moving forward, backward and trying to escape my blockade of suitcases in an effort to escape down the driveway.

This afternoon I took Summer to Toys R Us for the first time. Surprisingly, she did not mind shopping there-go figure. In most stores she gets fretful when I stop and really look but with toys everywhere she just rocked back and forth with glee (that is what she does when she is happy). I am happy with the toys we got, one just for fun and one for learning.

One year ago...

May 18, 2009 I took this video.

The next morning, on May 19, 2009, I was so happy to see 8am arrive so that I could call my doctor. I had been up pacing in PAIN all night. The top of my belly was hurting along with a sharp pain in my right shoulder. I couldn't lay down at all. No position was comfortable. I spent most of the night bent over on the kitchen counter and googling what these symptoms meant.

I had just been to the doctor for my weekly checkup yesterday and I was 1.5 cm dilated. When I was checked this morning, in obvious discomfort, I was 3 cm dilated. My doctor, Dr. Westfall, said that I was going to have my baby today! Wahoo! We called our moms and both of them hopped on planes to Reno. My doctor was on call at the hospital that night and I was so relieved. She told me to go home and walk and count the minutes between contractions. Chad and I were so excited. We walked around the neighborhood and even were interviewed by the local news regarding our opinion on gov. funds being cut on road repairs or something...I hadn't showered as I was- well you know feeling preoccuppied...and so Chad did the interview. We really weren't good at counting contractions. It was mostly because I didn't know what a contraction felt like! They weren't painful to me at that time. So once 5pm came around we decided to go to the hospital and check in. I can remember the nurse checking me in saying "You can't have this baby yet. You're only 36 weeks." I felt like arguing with her saying..."yes huh...my doctor said she is healthy AND our mothers are on the way!"

Ok, I will hurry this story up...I was monitored until 9pm (Chad left during that time to pick up my mom from the airport) and then they said they were sending me home because my contractions were not consistant. I got dressed and was waiting for them to come tell me I could officially leave and the nurse on the new shift came in to apologize that she needed to take some blood before I left. She said I could go and if anything came back from the bloodwork she would call me. The same pain in the top of my belly was coming back and I asked for some medicine to help me sleep. They gave me an Ambien and said it was strong so take it immediately before I went to bed. We went home dissappointed that we weren't having a baby and I went to sleep.

About 10:30pm my phone rang and I heard Chad get it. It was the hospital calling to tell me that my bloodwork had come back and they had some concerns and wanted me to come back to the hospital. I can clearly remember walking down the hallway in the hospital all groggy on Ambien. It was the only time in 9 months that I had felt buzzed and it felt SO good! My doctor told me that I was showing signs of pre-eclampsia and she was going to induce me. To combat my abnormal liver levels they gave me Magnesium. They said this is going to make you very hot. My ears felt like they had steam blowing out and from then on (I was on it for 36 hours) Chad wore his sweatshirt in the end of May because my room was cold. I thought the bed was so comfortable and slept great (thanks Ambien) all night.

The rest happens tomorrow...

*Sidenote: This story never gets old to me. I think I will be able to tell it with enthusiasm and suspense for the rest of my life!

1 comment:

MIMI said...

I will love listening to that story for the rest of MY life. It was so exciting and intense, but what GREAT rewards!!!!