Thursday, May 20, 2010

1 year old

Oh my, it just dawned on me that I didn't take Summer's 1 year photo today in her diaper with the date...must do that tomorrow.

Back to 2009...
I slept great all night but I wasn't progressing so my doctor broke my water. Up until this point I really wasn't in much discomfort. I was watching the contractions on the monitor but it only felt like tightness. Once my water broke the pain went from a 2 to a 10 instantly! I asked for an epidural but the anesthesiologist was in a c-section and would be an hour. They gave me some pain medicine through my IV that would last 1 hr. At exactly 8am, one hour later, I woke up in screaming pain...the pain medicine they gave me put me to sleep. Chad and my mom said I was actually snoring while my contractions were going on. For the next 29 minutes I was the exercist! I always said I would keep my cool and not be one of those women that screamed during labor BUT in the moment being polite was the last thing on my mind.

Summer Marie Martin was born at 8:29am on May 20, 2009.
Afterwards, I ate crepes and we lived happily ever after...for a day.

Parenting is the biggest challenge I have ever endured. It requires your full attention and lots of sacrifices for all the selfish things you used to do when you just looked out for yourself. But at the end of the day there is nothing better than the light in her eyes when she sees me look at her. The way she smiles and waves at me as she catches me walking by. The weight of her little body on my chest when she falls asleep. I love being a mom to Summer and I look forward to being there when she discovers all life has to offer.

We will be celebrating on Saturday, like all birthdays should, and pictures will come then.

1 comment:

MIMI said...

That just about says IT ALL! Yes, there is NOTHING better than seeing your "little baby" love her "little baby" with such sacrifical love. And that's exactly what you,Jana Marie,have done for Summer Marie this 1st year of her life. I live to watch you watch her experience many more wonderful years!