Monday, September 7, 2009

Sampson's Labor Day

Our gentle giant, Sampson, had a seizure last night. I was about to return to bed after feeding Summer and washing her bottle when I heard him fall off the bed (he sleeps on the guest bed) but the crashing noise kept happening. I quickly went in there to help him as I figured he was asleep and stumbling to get up. When I turned on the light I saw his head was between the chair the desk and the wall and he was seizuring. I yelled for Chad to get in there and I quickly tried to move the furniture out of the way. It seemed like every time he kicked the furniture it only prolonged the spasms. I would guess it happened for 2 minutes. It was so scary for Chad and I. We thought we were going to watch him die right there as he was breathing so heavy, foaming at the mouth and urinating. It was traumatic!

However, he did recover and we let him sleep between us for the rest of the night. He has been spoiled with love and carbohydrates today...his 2 favorite things!

We are not allowing him to sleep on the guest bed anymore as we think it was triggered by the fall and he regularly kicks alot in the night and can easily kick himself off the bed.
But he has been back to normal today and we are happy again.

Summer played with him and Lucy outside this afternoon...wearing her shades of course. I can't believe she doesn't mind having these on her head.

4 comments:

Jay said...

Sis,

I know that was a traumatic event. Dega has seizures and it is scary. You just have to sit next to him and pet him and love on him and he will come out of it. He doesn't urinate on himself though. Hopefully this is a one time event for yall and you don't experience this anymore. Summer looks so cute in her glasses. Love yall

MOM said...

So glad that Sampson made it through his episode. He is so fortunate to have such loving caregivers as The Martin Family.
Summer is tooo cute in her sunglasses. Makes me think that she would also not be bothered by a BOW in her hair.
Love you ALL!!!
MOM

Aunt Jen said...

Oh Jana! I cannot imagine how scarry it was to see him having a seizure. We included Sampson in our prayers @ dinner last night. We pray he will not have another.
Summer, love the glasses girl!
ROLL TIDE...you look soooo cute in your "stadium attire"!
Love ya'll

Gramma said...

I don't believe a fall out of bed caused the seizure. I believe he feel out of bed from the seizuring and the loss of body control(urinating and foaming) shows the seriousness of the type of seizure he had. I am so grateful that he came out of it ok.Hopefully, that was his last! I miss you and my little Summer but am glad Chad is home with you and her. hugs and kisses to everyone!