Thursday, July 1, 2010

Summer's First Beach Trip, Playdate & the Lake

Summer's First Beach Trip - Panama City Beach, FL (oil-free)
Note to self: Don't take a 1 year old to the beach and stay in a hotel room!
Mom, Summer and I spend a couple of nights on the beach and I had high expectations of quality girl time. In reality, after Summer went to bed Mom and I sat in the bathroom and talked then went to sleep shortly after (less glamorous but quality still I guess).
I can't tell you how messy our hotel room was. First thing Summer did was take the phone off the receiver and carry it around. I figured I might as well unplug it from the wall so we didn't have a beeping noise. She also had a BALL pulling every.single.kleenex. out of the dispenser. At first, I told her no but then thought-hey we are on vacation, go ahead!
Our hotel had a water park for the young kids. Summer sat with Mimi and watched the other kids play. She told me that she wasn't a fan of splashing water.
PS - That sure is one Cute Mimi!

Summer LOVED the pool. I think she liked the security of being in my arms. She waved to everyone and said "Hi!"
The beach wore her out (and it was nap time)
I would love to tell you that Summer regularly falls asleep in my arms like this...BUT this is rare! In fact, she only does this when she is sick. And sure enough after she rested on my shoulder at dinner I knew something was wrong. She was hot and it wasn't from being outside. We bought a thermometer and her temperature was 102! My nurse told me to see a doctor then next day and we decided to end our trip a day short and head back to Birmingham.
This mama was Catty! I told my mom in advance that I was sorry because I was bound to lash out at some point. After much trial and error (Pediatricians won't see you on a one time basis and many walk in clinics won't see a baby her age) we went to the American Family Care on Shades Crest Rd (Dr. Chandler) and it was great (highly recommend for B'ham friends).
My poor baby had an ear infection:( We got an antibiotic and she was back to herself almost immediately.
While in Birmingham, I met with my college friends, Nicole, Erin and Christina, for a kids playdate. Here is my attempt to getting a picture of all of them. I have learned if I dance silly then give a BIG Ta-Da! at the end then Summer will give me a big smile. Turns out she will also raise both hands and make a face dive off the couch! Saved her in the nick of time.
Rebecca, Marley Rose, John William, Summer, Tom, Elizabeth (Stella was napping)
Bud, Jen and Sadie took me on a boat ride at Logan Martin Lake in their refurbished ski boat. Sadie is such a swimmer. She even has her own life jacket with a handle on the back for pulling her back up into the boat.
Man and Man's very tired best friend

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO glad we got to meet Summer and have you girls for a short time here in FL! Next time, please take us up on our offer of staying with us. That way you and Aunt Trish won't have to talk in the bathroom and go to bed at 8pm. Even though that does sound like a blast! :) Glad Summer is feeling better!
Love,
Mook

Leslie said...

Looks like a fun trip! Jan, you are looking Great!!
Les

MIMI said...

Love those memories!!!!

Gramma said...

great pics, Jana. And, Trish, you look great too!

The Powells said...

Jana - this is the first time I have been on anyones blog in forever!!! Loved seeing you and Summer - so precious!!!