Monday, January 11, 2010

Amazing Discovery in the Kitchen

First the Disclaimer...this kitchen discovery is "amazing" to me and may not be amazing to everyone.
Now let's proceed.
One of my 2010 goals is to diversify my delicious dinners (I couldn't help but triple use the D-word and I am sure that is called something in grammer). So where do I turn first but to my trusty southern cookbooks from Jenks Avenue Church of Christ. And of course I must make the recipes that my cousins Tiff and Mook submitted as well as Aunt Pam. Last night I made Tiff's Poppyseed Chicken Casserole and it was delicious (see below).
Well I let the dish soak overnight and this morning the bubbling butter (and possibly the PAM that I sprayed the dish with) that made the dish so yummy simply wouldn't come off with my scrub brush. Up until now I would have thought, oh well that dish is ruined. And now the aha moment...I used a Scotch Brite Stainless Steel pad and magically all the brown came off.
Yawn, right!
Wrong, this was a break through for my kitchen because yall, I have alot of pans that have that brown on them. So I broke them out and cleaned them all...of course in my pink dishwashing gloves. No I don't use the pink dishwashing gloves to protect my manicure because I haven't had one of those in months-not that I wouldn't want a manicure, along with a pedicure, a smaller waistline, thicker hair, longer legs-I wear the pink dishwashing gloves for motivation! I put those on and it gives me the extra energy to get the job done. Along with my Dad's voice in the back of my head that says, if your going to do it then do it right. I translate that to if your going to clean one pan then clean them all.

BEFORE
AFTER

While I am on a cleaning rampage...I also hear my Dad's voice in my mind when I am vaccuming. I sometimes think, oh I'll just skip that area because it would cause me to unplug the vaccum and replug closer (seriously, what a loser excuse Jana)...so of course, Dad always wins in my mind and I do a thorough job.

Well what is the moral of this rambling post. I think what I am trying to say is that you should always cook with a cute apron on and clean with hot pink gloves and if you have to go to the Post Office get dressed up in your cute dry clean only clothes.
Forgive me...this post is a little over the top pointless and crazy.

6 comments:

MIMI said...

I learned something new--or at least had forgotten.

But PLEASE at least 1 picture of Summer on EACH blog.
I do love the new header. She is a LIVING DOLL!!!

Dad said...

Jana, I am happy and proud that not everything that I taught you simply passed through one ear and out the other. And I admire your determination to "just do it." You are correct that "anything worth doing, is worth doing right." And, remember, "a place for everything, and everything in its place." Cleaning all of those pans is a demonstration that "if you take care of your equipment, your equipment will take care of you." Vacumming as you did illustrates that "it only costs a nickel more to go first-class." You make be BEAM with PRIDE!!

Gram said...

Oh no! I filled the comment area and I don't think it went through. I'll try this before re-writing all the other.

Gram said...

Oh well, that phrase "practice makes perfect" applies here. Jana concerning the lost comment, I told you that the phrases were called alleritations and we use them all the time in first grade to help with initial sounds. Example: Jack jumped over the jam jar in January. Summer will be ready for this before you know it. Jack and I say one of our favorite things this Christmas was visiting with Chad. Jack refers to Chad now anytime barbeque come up in the conversations. Jana, I would have thought that was Grandmother Bell in those rubber gloves. You have motivated me to try the Poppyseed Chicken. Mook fixes it often. Hope there are some healthy substitutes because Uncle Jack and I are trying to start the year off better. I've been reading Jillian Michael's book Master Your Metabolism. Great info.! A phrase for Jay and Jen - "When your at the end of your rope, tie a Knot in and hanggggggg on."

Maggie Pelton said...

Will you post the poppyseed chicken recipe? It looks yummy. I am going to check out the scotch brite pads. Have you ever used bar keepers friend? You have to try it! It's a miracle cleaner and the only thing I use now for stainless pots and pans, countertops, toilets, bathtubs, everything! It's amazing!

Gramma said...

well, call me old fashioned, but, I still love SOS pads(and they gotta be SOS cause the others don't work!)for cleaning all that stuff. In fact, I'm at Jana's and Chad's right now and brought a box from home and intended on cleaning all those pots and pans and casserole dishes for her. But, voila! They were all done!