Friday, January 28, 2011

Our Big Buddy Sampson

Sadly, Sampson has experienced seizures for over a year.  We have been combating the illness with medication however he still had monthly occurrences.  This past week, January 25, 2011, we had to say goodbye to our big boy, Sampson.  Anybody that knows Chad and I knows that we have had Sampson since we were married.  He was a 175lb Great Dane with a soft sweet heart, a goofy personality and a shiny smooth black coat. 
Remembering Sampson also is a walk down memory lane and all of the great places Chad and I have explored in the past 7 years.  Here we took him to Lake Tahoe and enjoyed sunbathing on a boulder in the water.  He never was a swimmer.  Lucky for him he had really long legs!
Chad and I were lucky enough to work for a great company that was very flexible in its office policies...allowing us to bring our BIG boy to work on occasion.
Although, to most people Sampson might appear to be an intimidating giant...
To me he was an oversized mannequin that was a challenge to dress up...
 
He was a loving big brother to his little sissy, Lucy.  From the very first day we brought Lucy home he loved her like his own.
 
He grew into a handsome, stoic Great Dane. 
 
He was loved by his Daddy and Mama.
 
 
And he loved Summer from the day we brought her home from the hospital.
In fact, he was so sweet that there were moments we knew that HE was the biggest baby in the house!
We love our Big Buddy and are so sad to not get to spend each day with him and to see Summer love him for more of her life.  Just last week I took these pictures of Summer hugging/riding Sampson. 
In his usual ways, he sat still letting her crawl all over him.
We are blessed to have received so much love from one of God's animals.

7 comments:

Gaby Ortega said...

Oh Jana! this is sooooo sweet! I can tell by this pictures you guys loved him so very much! I love dogs, I'v always wanted a big dog... but parents first, live then, and husband now, won't give this chance! I know how you feel, I had a dog (not that big) long ago, I 'lost' her when I was not home, so the feeling was bad. I embrasse you all, dog can really be a human best friend!

the crazy armstrongs said...

I'm so sorry! I know that must be so hard to lose such a wonderful friend.
Thanks for sharing it with us... I'm sure it will take time to get use to him not being around .. I just can't imagine losing someone thats been there for everything. your in my thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Sampson was so blessed to have you and Chad's love (unconditionally) for 7 years. He lived a life much better than many people. He was so easy to love. We will miss him, but never forget our memories. I am also thankful that Lucy is there to comfort and entertain you----AND SUMMER.

lisa said...

I am so sad for your loss. We love you all! xo

MIMI said...

I was the anonymous.

aunt jen said...

We are so sorry for the loss of Sampson. I will never foreget him looking at me like "uh, you are in my seat" when I sat on your couch...and actually I was!

Rachel said...

I would like to give a quick shout out to Sampson for being such a dapper, well behaved and entertaining dog. It's because of him, my Jim agreed to let us get a dog of our own. We love you Martin family and send big hugs to you during this tough time.