Monday, September 20, 2010

Monday Update

I have alot to say so let me begin by telling you what Summer is up to this week.

  • She speaks her own language. I CANNOT wait until we can communicate in English.
  • If I don't understand her language she whines.
  • If I don't respond to her whine then she drops to the floor, arms behind her torso, then slowly lays her head on the ground (only took one headbang to learn that lesson-so smart)
  • She has lots of cute 18 month clothes if she would just grow a little more so she can fit into them
  • If outside, she wants to be in the street.
  • Plays great at church and at the gym
  • Eats healthy healthy healthy (yesterday she ate: tomatoes, melon, carrots, roasted potatoes)
  • She understands us. I can ask her go get her sippy cup in the next room and she will.
  • She loves to climb.
  • She says "da-da" ALL.THE.TIME

Next topic, I want to give a few shout outs! I keep meaning to tell these people that I am proud of their success but I can't seem to execute. I am pretty sure they read this blog so here goes.
Sandie has lost 14 lbs! (Happy Birthday today!)
Rachel has lost 16 lbs!
Barrett has lost 20+ lbs!
Way to go ladies! This is no small feat. You have sacrificed daily in order to meet your goal and that takes self discipline. Self discipline is hard.
I told my bootcamp instructor (back in April) that, in time, people would say "oh you have always been fit" and I would respond and say "No I haven't! I used to struggle with my weight and exercise program but once I turned 31 I did a bootcamp and I have been fit since!" I am learning about my body and myself daily and what is the right program for me to sustain this for life. So don't think I have it figurred out...however I have decided that there is no other option and I am not turning back.
In church, they use the story of Cortez and how they burned the boats as a symbol of committment. That has such good application in marriage but I was thinking about running...and how I have to mentally commit. There is NO other option than to complete the 1/2 marathon. And there is NO OTHER OPTION than to run the entire course.

Burn the Boats, Burn the Boats!

Next topic, I am the editor of the Junior League quarterly magazine. My first issue is coming out soon and my deadlines are all too near. I have put forth hours of research, writing, editing, design (I am a committee of 1) and I am very excited about the final product. I love the organization of Real Simple magazine and I have turned to my RS library for guidance. I will show you some of the pages once I am complete.
PS - the JL is an organization of women commited to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving our community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
SO, we are not sitting around polishing our diamonds like some of you might think! We are educating pregnant teens at their lunch break at school, educating abused women on how to write a resume and get back in the work force and on their feet, educating parents on how to guide their troubled youth...etc

Ok, I'm done for the moment. Have a great day!

1 comment:

MIMI said...

I'm sure that it's frustrating when you "get it", but others don't (Summer's talking). Happy Birthday, Sandie and way to go everybody!! Jan, I appreciate your hard work as a JL member.
By the way, I wish my foot was as brown as Summer's sticking out of her pjs!!!