Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Just like you (Zane_5 month)

Just like you we have our share of troubles.  This little girl has been fighting a fever virus for the past 5 days.  After trying to treat it different ways I finally got so confused that I called the doctor and we went in for a visit.  Summer has asthma but it doesn't come across a dramatic asthma attack with wheezing...for her, it is a persistent cough that wears her down until her little eyelids are only half open.  Sad, right.
Coughing=Asthma, Coughing=Asthma, Coughing=Asthma...I seem to forget that and always think it is something else first. You would think that I would have figured that out after doing daily breathing treatments for 8 months this fall, winter, spring.  I am a mom-in-training!

Today our little guy Zane is 5 months old!  Since we were just at the doctor yesterday I weighed him and he came in at 17 lb 13 oz.  That's over a pound and a half gain since last month.
At 5 months Zane likes:
  • To eat: rice cereal, oatmeal, applesauce, bananas, sweet potatoes
  • To be held by his Mama
  • Baby Bjorn, facing outwards
  • Eating his hands
  • Baby Einstein DVD, Baby Mozart
  • Bath time-he and big sister have splash contests
  • Routine, Routine, Routine in his own house!

At 5 months Zane dislikes:
  • Car rides
  • Sleeping through the night, prefers a few snacks in the night
  • Sleeping in public
  • Avocados or Peas
  • Taking a bottle
We have a love/hate relationship with the miracle blanket.  Zane loves the swaddle feeling however when he wakes in the night it is my opinion that he wants to eat his hands but can't get to them.  Unswaddle him you might recommend.  Well, he doesn't know what to do with his hands and doesn't just suck a thumb like most kids.  Instead he beats himself up and gets ALL WORKED UP!
However, after last night I had to try something different and I was willing to let him cry through his nap this morning...I mean really, what does sleep mean to me anymore anyways.  He cried for about 5 minutes but then got comfortable.  I tip toed in and took a picture to document.  I do believe that he is still breathing but he often puts his hands over his eyes while nursing so that is what he is doing here.  He is in the sleep sack with his arms tucked in, rather than out the arm holes, to try to keep him semi-swaddled.

3 comments:

Anna & Greg said...

Hang in there, Jana! It will get easier soon, and sleep will come again!

Mimi said...

I well remember those days--so difficult to see your precious one not her bright-eyed, perky self.
Love you and praying for a long restful night for you ALL!
Zane, Happy 5 months Big Boy!

Rachel said...

Sweet Jana. You are such a wonderful mother. We tried rice cereal for the first time last weekend but little miss wasn't so sure. I may need some coaching from you. we are loving eating our hands over here too. Funny! You always motivate me Jana, in both the good and trying times. Hope Summer is feeling better and mr Zane Gets back to sleep soon. Xoxo