Friday, May 20, 2011

Summer's Birth-day

Folks let me just tell you that I am going to relive this series of days back in 2009 every May 18-20th for the rest of my life.  It is part of my DNA as my mother has done the same to me.  I mean, it was literally a life-changing day and not just for Summer but for Chad and I as well.  And that is my disclaimer.
The short story...yesterday morning the Dr. told me I was having a baby.  Chad and I both called our families and our moms hopped on planes to come to Reno.  We went to the hospital in the afternoon but the contractions weren't as consistent as they needed to be to keep me so they let me go.  Before I walked out of the room the new shift nurse asked to draw blood.  They gave me an ambien and sent me home.  Once I was knocked into ambien heaven the phone rang and Chad woke me up to say we needed to go back to the hospital.  I can remember walking through the ER hallway and feeling so out of it from the ambien that I think I might have even hit a wall once.  Turns out I had H.E.L.P. and they were going to induce me.  We slept through the night and the next morning they broke my water at 7am.  Summer Marie Martin was born at 8:29am, May 20, 2009 weighing 5lb 9oz and 18 inches long.
 Proud Mama and Daddy
Honestly, this is exactly how I remember feeling...like I couldn't see!  Looking back I can tell it was because my eyes weren't open!  Just kidding, I was on magnesium and it really affected my vision.  I kept asking the nurses "When can you take me off this mercury?"  Of course, they would always look at me puzzled and tell me it was magnesium and I had to be on it for 24 hours which felt like a lifetime.
On a sidenote, we laugh that Summer has her hand reached out because I always sleep with my hand stretched out too.
Chad and I had no idea how wonderful our lives would be as Summer's parents.  She has brought so many smiles to our faces.  We love her beyond measure.  Her birthday party will be next weekend with family.

2 comments:

MIMI said...

What wonderful memories!!! I will NEVER forget hearing you SCREAM and Summer CRY--the New Beginning of Life--what a MIRACLE--THANK YOU GOD for our precious family and the love they share for each other!!

Can't wait to CELEBRATE with ALL the family together!

the crazy armstrongs said...

Happy birthday sweet Summer! I just can't believe she is two already wow where is the time going? We have got to get together miss and love you guys! Thank goodness we have blogs to keep up with each others lives. have a sweet and loving day celebrating your beautiful child!