Sunday, December 19, 2010

Let the Race Begin

In less that 1 month, January 15, 2011, I will be running my first 1/2 marathon in Charleston, SC!
I have been training for about 6 months and I know I will be mentally and physically prepared.  My goal is to run 20 miles a week for this last month...1 week down.  I love to let my mind wander while I am running.  Some of the things I think about are:
  • Will I have to stop to use the restroom?
  • Will I feel the need to stop and walk...major mental training against this.  This is my biggest fear.
  • I wonder what will I wear?  I want to keep my run as close to my training as possible so I won't be altering things too much.  I am that person at the gym that wears the same 2 outfits ALWAYS.  I have thought about decorating my current t-shirt.  Maybe have my name monogrammed on it, or even spell it with neon duck tape...yes that is what I am thinking about when it looks like I am staring into oblivion.  Ideas?
  • Currently I train at the gym.  When a song comes on that gets me pumped I have to restrain myself from dancing on the treadmill.  That's right, I would be that person with arms swinging.  Come race day I can't wait to do a big fist pump whenever I feel like it...then of course I worry about wasting energy.
  • I think about some of the cute girls who have ran 1/2 marathons and how their finish line photo is so non sweaty...and how I might have to change into a second race outfit to look as if it didn't nearly kill me to run 13.1 miles...but that would be ridiculous, right???
  • I wonder what if I sweat so much that my earplugs short circuit and then I am left to run the race without music!  Should I bring a second pair just in case...
  • I get excited thinking about crossing the 13 mile marker knowing I only have 1/10 of a mile left to go and how I will straighten up and finish strong!
  • I want to finish smiling and hope to not tinkle my pants once I stop.
Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Grammy said...

You are so funny!!!!I know you will do great. I'm just worried about you thinking about ALL of the things you listed and make a wrong turn while your running. just kidding!!!
love you

Dad said...

Jana Marie,
And I thought that my mind wandered a little as I drive, shave, shower, listen (to Sandie), or talk to others! Ha! (Just kidding about wandering while listening to my lovely wife) My, I am a straight-thinker compared to you, Girl! And those ideas are so varied that I do not know where to begin..but, monogramming your name will help with identifying the winner! And most sweat will likely evaporate, so never fear the sweaty pits. Gee, I have forgotten the other alternative ideas, but I am certain that you have not...so, JUST DO IT!!

Lisa said...

I am so happy for you Jana! Not to add something to your list of things to think about, but do you ever worry that treadmill running and road running will be different? I only ask because I can run on the street, but I can't run on a treadmill(I think its because my eyes like to wander). I bet you will get out in that fresh air and hit 10 miles and you will wonder where the time has gone!

Susan said...

oh my goodness, Jana! All that thinking is something we share and I have decided that that is what keeps me perservering and on target. I am so proud of you-what an achievement!

MIMI said...

Before I got out of bed this morning I thought about where I was going to place the food and serving dishes for our meal next Thurs. night, about moving around some decorations in the house to make things more accessible for Summer's new space at her little table, about a cornbread recipe, about another gift for Jen, about some more gift ideas, about Christmas morning, ETC. I agree with the saying Let's Just DO IT!!!
Love you,
MIMI

Maggie Pelton said...

You are so fun, Jana! I LOVE reading your blog because you always bring a smile to my face and I inevitably giggle! Way to go on the 1/2 marathon. I want to be a runner...I really do.